Grants and Funding
The New York State Canal Corporation, through the Reimagine the Canals initiative, and the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor offer competitive grant funding to support tourism and recreation along the New York State Canal System.
The 2023 program will provide funding to support tourism infrastructure and amenity improvements, and events. Grant funding is open to counties, municipalities, units of local government, not-for-profit organizations and federally recognized Native American tribes.
In 2022, 38 nonprofit organizations and municipalities received NYS Canal System Tourism Infrastructure and Event Grants totaling $259,300. The grants supported 11 tourism infrastructure and amenity improvements and 27 events.
Projects submitted should demonstrate how they will achieve one or more program objectives:
- facilitate recreation and/or tourism
- enhance visitor amenities and/or improve the visitor experience
- encourage overnight stays
- celebrate the history, heritage, or culture of the canals
- make recreational and tourism assets more accessible for all ages and abilities and expand audiences served
- improve and/or promote connectivity between recreation areas and communities or between waterways and land trails
Application Opens: January 9, 2023
Information Session: January 26, 10am
Applications Due: February 24, 2023
Awards Announced: April 2023
January 26, 2023