An Award-Winning Approach
The Erie Canalway Preservation and Management Plan received the American Planning Association’s Highest National Award for a Comprehensive Plan in 2008. The plan outlines strategies for achieving six key goals:
- The Corridor's historic and distinctive sense of place will be widely expressed and consistently protected.
- The Corridor's natural resources will reflect the highest standards of environmental quality.
- The Corridor's recreation opportunities will achieve maximum scope and diversity, in harmony with the protection of heritage resources.
- The Corridor's current and future generations of residents and visitors will value and support preservation of its heritage.
- The Corridor's economic growth and heritage development will be balanced and self-sustaining.
- The Corridor will be a "must do" travel experience for regional, national, and international visitors.