Preserve our proud past and drive a sustainable future at Matton Shipyard in Cohoes.
The historic Matton Shipyard is a rare surviving example of an early 20th century ship building and repair facility. From 1916 to 1983, Matton workers built more than 340 tug boats, police boats, WWII submarine chasers, and other vessels.
Matton Shipyard is located in Peebles Island State Park at the junction of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers. It is strategically linked to several land and water-based recreational trails.
The shipyard is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Photo c. 1949)
At its height, Matton employed more than 300 people. (Photo: Workers with Tug Mary Turecamo, 1982)
John E. Matton at the shipyard in 1917
The launch of a new vessel was a sight to see. 1962 (Photos courtesy Canal Society of NYS)
Matton Shipyard will once again serve as a vibrant intersection of historical, cultural, educational, recreational and commercial activities. It will proudly anchor the eastern gateway to the Erie Canal and the southern gateway to the Champlain Canal.
A waterfront revitalizated for residents and visitors
A place for recreation integrated with Peebles Island State Park
An educational destination for the future
A place to honor Matton's history and national significance
Four key goals are guiding the revitalization of Matton Shipyard:
1. Preserve existing buildings and visual character of the site.
2. Promote the site as a hub for recreational, educational, and cultural activities.
3. Open access to the water for residents of Cohoes, surrounding communities, and visitors.
4. Address long-term challenges, including flooding and economic sustainability.
Planning documents and drawings, preservation documentation, and environmental assessments are complete. We are eager to begin visible improvements to the shipyard. Here’s what’s happening in 2020:
Please contact us with questions or suggestions: email@example.com.
Financial and/or in-kind support generously provided by the following: Albany County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau of the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region, City of Cohoes, Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area, Individual Donors, National Park Service, National Trust for Historic Preservation made possible by the Peter H. Brink Leadership Fund and the Johanna Favrot Fund for Historic Preservation, NYS Canal Corporation, NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation through Title 9 of the Environmental Protection Act of 1993, and The McCarthy Charities.