Canal Structures and Engineering Marvels

Canal Structures and Engineering Marvels

Erie Canal- East
COHOES
portfolio7
 Enlarged Erie Canal National Register District

Walking tour connects twelve of the sixteen double locks of the Enlarged Erie Canal needed to pass Cohoes Falls. Map available at Cohoes RiverSpark at 58 Remsen Street.  Visit Site >

FORT HUNTER
portfolio7
 Schoharie Aqueduct

Dating to 1841, Schoharie Aqueduct once carried canal boats over the Schoharie Creek. Of the original 14 stone arches only six remain. Located within Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site.  Visit Site >
Passport Site

LITTLE FALLS
portfolio7
 Lock 17

(315) 823-0650

Constructed in 1915, Lock 17 was once the highest single lift lock in the world at 40.5 feet. The lock is at the lower end of a mile long land-cut, built to pass the multiple drops and rapids that make up the "Little Falls" of the Mohawk River. A heavy counterbalanced guillotine gate, hung from overhead chains and riding on rails on the inside of a bulkhead make this lock unique.  Visit Site >

WATERFORD
portfolio7
 Eastern Gateway to the Canal System at Waterford Harbor

Visit the eastern gateway to the Erie Canal and see the many canal sites of interest in this area, including the Waterford Flight, Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center, Cohoes Falls, and Old Champlain Canal. Annual events include Canal Fest in May, Steamboat Meet in July, and Tugboat Roundup in September.
Passport Site

Erie Canal- Central
CAMILLUS
portfolio7
 Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct

(315) 488-3409

The impressive Nine Mile Creek aqueduct, constructed in 1841, was restored in 2009 and is the only working aqueduct on the Old Erie Canal. Boat rides in summer. Located in Camillus Erie Canal Park, which also has a segment of the original Clinton’s Ditch, and seven miles of canal and trail.  Visit Site >
Passport Site

DEWITT TO ROME
portfolio7
 Old Erie Canal State Historic Park

(315) 637-6111

Explore the old Erie Canal. Thirty-six miles of the original channel, five stone arch aqueducts, and a number of other historic structures remain in service here, delivering water from upland reservoirs to today’s canal. Stretching from DeWitt, just east of Syracuse, to New London and the outskirts of Rome, Old Erie Canal State Park gives a first-hand sense of the scale and character of the ditch that opened a continent. The park includes the Erie Canalway Trail, which follows the old towpath and is suitable for bicycling, walking, and jogging. Picnicking, canoeing, fishing, and snowmobiling are other popular activities.  Visit Site >

JORDAN
portfolio7
 Jordan Canal Park

Lovely park in the Village of Jordan surrounds the Jordan Aqueduct. Built 1845 and abandoned in 1917, the aqueduct spans the Skaneateles Creek. Accessible by car or bike from the Canalway Trail.  Visit Site >

PORT BYRON
portfolio7
 Old Erie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron

Accessible from Rooker Drive, off NY 31 or NY Thruway eastbound between exits 41 and 40, Port Byron. Pass through a brand-new visitor center to examine the side-by-side stone chambers of Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 52 and visit the Erie House, a tavern and hotel with mule barns and a blacksmith shop, built beside the lock.  Visit Site >

SYRACUSE
portfolio7
 Syracuse Weighlock Building (Erie Canal Museum)

(315) 471-0593

Extensive collection and exhibits on all facets of the Erie Canal. Housed in the only remaining Weighlock Building (1850) where canal boats were weighed during the days when they traveled through the center of Syracuse on the Erie Canal.  Visit Site >
Passport Site

VERONA BEACH
portfolio7
 Verona Beach Lighthouse

1-800-798-6842

Fully restored and functioning 85-foot lighthouse completed in 1917 to guide Barge Canal traffic on the east end of Oneida Lake. Located six miles north from Thruway Exit 34 just off Rte. 13 near the Village of Sylvan Beach.  Visit Site >

WEEDSPORT
portfolio7
 Centerport and Weedsport Aqueduct Park

A 75-foot stone and wood aqueduct once carried the Erie Canal over North Brook in the historic canal town of Weedsport. Today, you can see remains of the aqueduct and access a 2 mile section of the Old Erie Canal Trail from Centreport Park just west of Weedsport to Schasel Park in Port Byron.  Visit Site >

Erie Canal- West
LOCKPORT
portfolio7
 Lockport Locks District

(716) 439-0431

Lockport's renowned Flight of Five locks are located alongside the similarly remarkable Barge Canal Locks 34 and 35. These locks enable canal boats to climb the Niagara Escarpment. Restoration is underway on the Flight of Five; lock demonstrations available on weekends. Erie Canal Discovery Center, boat tours, Lockport Cave Tours, winery, shops, Canalway Trail, and other attractions nearby.  Visit Site >
Passport Site

LYONS
portfolio7
 Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 56

Dating to 1849, this double-chambered stone lock served boats on the Erie Canal until 1918. A canalside store next to the lock is now a private residence. Located two miles west of the Village of Lyons.

MACEDON
portfolio7
 Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 60 and Gallups Change Bridge

The remains of impressive double Lock 60, built in 1841, have been preserved through a 25-year community volunteer effort. Located within a one-mile stretch along the Erie Canal and Canalway Trail that features numerous preserved canal structures from the 1800s. Located off Quaker Road between Walworth and O'Neil Roads.

MEDINA
portfolio7
 Culvert Road

Boats on the Erie Canal pass over Culvert Road about two miles east of Medina between Routes 31 and 104, the only place where a road passes under the canal.

PALMYRA
portfolio7
 Pal-Mac Aqueduct County Park

(315) 946-5836

Aqueduct Park contains the remains of Palmrya Aqueduct, built in 1857, that carried the canal over Ganargua Creek, as well as the Aldrich Change Bridge, a unique towpath-era remnant originally erected at the Rochester Weighlock in the 1850s.

ROCHESTER
portfolio7
 Genesee Aqueduct, Aqueduct Park

(585) 428-7600

Built in 1842 to carry the Erie Canal over the Genesee River, the aqueduct consists of seven arches, each spanning 52-feet. Today, the aqueduct serves as the base of the Broad Street Bridge. View the structure from Aqueduct Park.  Visit Site >

Cayuga-Seneca Canal
MONTEZUMA
portfolio7
 Montezuma Heritage Park/Richmond Aqueduct

Hike original towpath trails to view the Richmond Aqueduct, Clinton’s Ditch Lock 62, and other historic canal features in the 160-acre nature park. Built from 1849 to 1857 and partially dismantled in 1917, the original aqueduct had 31 massive arches to support the canal as it crossed the Seneca River. Seven of these arches and their related piers and abutments remain today. The park is located within the Seneca River Crossing Canals Historic District.  Visit Site >

Champlain Canal
GLENS FALLS
portfolio7
 Glens Falls Feeder Canal

(518) 792-5363

Constructed in 1824 and widened 1832, the Feeder Canal still remains in service to supply water from the Hudson River to the Champlain Canal. Its 14 surviving lock chambers retain the smaller dimensions of Clinton's Ditch. A nine-mile bike path and walking trail provide access to the feeder canal from the Town of Queensbury through Glens Falls to Fort Edward.  Visit Site >

SCHUYLERVILLE
portfolio7
 Champlain Canal Lock 5

The remains of a towpath era lock can be seen along side the present day Lock 5. Mechanical house is open to the public.

portfolio7
 Old Champlain Canal and Towpath

For over a mile the Old Champlain Canal and its towpath run from Gen. Philip Schuyler House in the Village of Schuylerville to present day Lock 5.